Monday, April 05, 2004

A casualty of the information age.

That's how I describe myself, at the moment. I was thinking about how I was tired of being sold shit, and how difficult it can be to research something on line, and I decided the two were related.

I feel that almost all advertising is deceitful. Every time I see an ad, I think, "Where's the catch?" Most of you are probably thinking, "Well, duh," but I don't think the point is addressed enough. While ads may not lie outright, as in passing off cubic zirconia as natural diamond, by it's very nature seemingly, there is always a kernal of dishonesty, of chicanery, double-dealing, fourberie, fraud, hanky-panky, highbinding, or sharp practice. To quote Tolkien, it's "wicked, tricksy, false." Either by omission or clever word choice, they attempt to lead you astray.

It can't be good to be this cynical, but growing up with the glut of information we have these days has sent my bullshit detector into overdrive. It doesn't help that I find myself right a lot of the time.

Some examples:
I was investigating a bartending academy that opened recently in town. The comely young woman explained that, normally, the cost is $599.00, but because they've had such a need for students, they're currently offering classes for only $349.00. I needed to act quickly, she told me, because that special price was scheduled to end tomorrow. At this point, the BS radar went 'ping,' and I told her I'd think about it. (Not that I had six hundred or three hundred fifty or even fifty dollars to give her at that point.) I asked around and, sure enough, the 'special price' had been scheduled to end for several months now.

RC Willey, a furniture chain for those readers lucky enough to not live within range of their incessant advertising, advertised a sale where, quote, "Absolutely everything in the store is on sale!" Then at the end of the broadcast the announcer quickly added that, "A very few items not included in this sale." You can't have it both ways.

Mor, another furniture chain, has had a sale going on "Today, Tonight and Tomorrow Only!" since they opened in town, two years ago. The deal never really changes, only the name of the sale. I rest easy every night knowing that I will probably never have to pay money down, interest, or delivery fees at Mor, OAC.

Political ads are a whole category of dishonesty to themselves.

So everything I'm presented with I regard warily. I see the man begging on the corner and wonder if really does need money or is just lazy. There's a collection cup on the counter at work for a little girl who needs an unfathomably expensive operation. I know the girl's need is genuine, but I wonder how much of the spare change in the cup actually makes it to her family. The cup does say dose that 100% of the funds go directly to Annabelle, and that is comforting, but I still can't bring myself to trust them.

Somebody wants me to "click here to receive a free prize." I have never once clicked one of those.

This other person wants my email address to sign me up for a newsletter, and I want to know who else is getting my address.

Even my employer is trying to sell me something. Not a product, but we have these five 'core values' that are basically trying to trick me into being a good little employee. (I'll save my thoughts on those gems for later.)

As jaded as I am, ads still work on me from time to time. Case in point, I tried one of BK's new chicken sandwiches the other day because mostly I thought the commercials were funny.

I understand that whining about advertising being double-plus un-good is like whining about an elm tree shedding it's leaves in the fall; it's just the way things are. But the elm tree doesn't make me wary of almost every one I meet.

I wonder what all this cynicism is doing to us.

No comments: