Friday, May 06, 2005

Baby Update

I feel lucky. Other than the diabetes, this seem sto have been an extremely easy pregnancy, for me at least. There have been no weird 3 am cravings for sardines and bean sprouts (she has had some cravings, but they've been fairly mundane, and nothing that she hasn't craved before) and with one exception, we've managed to avoid any highly emotional pregnant outbursts.

The one exception is kind of an interesting story. On her way to work, Nomi decided she wanted some coffee, so she stopped at a gas station, fixed her cup just the way she likes it and took it out to the car. When she set it on the top of the car to open it, it spilled all down the front of her work shirt. Now, this is something that make just about anyone upset , but for Nomi, that it day it was devastating. She came to work in tears, and I just happened to be in the break room when she walked in, clearly upset. Between sobs, she told me what happened. I tried to comfort her, but she could not be consoled. She left to go clock on and about an hour later, I got a call at my register. She was still distraught, and need to talk to try and feel better. I did what I could, but we were busy and I couldn't spend too much time with her. Three hours into her shift, she is still crying in the kiosk, and her boss says it's ok to go home. This made here feel worse, as it meant her already short handed department had to pull someone from the floor to run the fuel station, and she was shorting her paycheck four hours. We all tried to tell her it was ok, that we understood, she was pregnant, and we didn't hold it against her, but she wouldn't believe us. She still wasn't totally ok when she came to pick me up from work. We laugh about it now, but at the time her whole universe was upsidedown.

In baby news, we are 20 days from induction. Nomi had an ultrasound yesterday, and Sidney weighs six (!) pounds. This is exactly where she needs to be, and the doc said she may gain up to two more pounds by the end of it. I was really happy to hear this. I was afraid that, because of the gestational diabetes, Sidney would be far above agverage, which would cause problems. Also, she has flipped over, and is head-down, ready to deliver. This explains why Nomi had been especially uncomfortable over the last few days.

No comments: