Sunday, May 08, 2005

My impending fatherhood

has caused me to reevaluate my positions on some things. Most recently, I've been thinking about registered sex offenders. In Idaho, as many other places, convicted sex offenders must register their address with local law enforcement. Ada County even has a website where you can get the address and picture of offenders in your zip code.

This registry has me conflicted.

On one hand, arrests and convictions are a matter or public record. It's really not anyone's business, but you can head down to the DMV and see every ticket I've ever had. You can plug in local notables and see their records as well. That's all well and good, but the nature of sex crimes taint a person for life. We seem to willing to believe that a burglar can mend their ways, or a drug dealer can walk the straigt and narrow again, but not child molesters and the like. These people are branded and outcast from normal society, and putting their pictures and forceing them to register their addresses leaves them vulnerable to public prejudice and bigotry. There have been recent stories where citizens have abused this information.

As a citzen, I feel that these offenders should be given a chance to redeem themselves, to have some privacy and chance to return to a normal, productive life. I don't think they should be forced to have a seperate registry of addresses. These registries are often implimented and defended by saying it's for the safety of our kids and neighborhoods, but there are lots of other crimes that prey on the innocent, such as murderers and drug dealers. Why isn't there a registry for these people? I would like to know if there's a convicted narcaotics trafficer living near by. Or people conviced of DUI. They pose a similar danger to the welfare of my community, why aren't they forced to post their pictures and addresses online? It really bothers me that we, as a community, are heavily stacking the deck against someones' right to a second chance and a decent, private life.

As a father, I want to know where these bastards live so I can tell to stay the fuck away from my kids.

1 comment:

Mr.Bill said...

Funny how that works, isn't it?