Sunday, August 08, 2004

Distilled Democracy

Now that I have titles enabled, I suddenly feel pressure to come up with pithy monikers for my posts.

Today I turned my father on to blogging. He was unaware that I had one and once I showed it to him, he became really interested so I set him up with one. He's the type of guy who loves to tinker and learns by doing, and taking things apart, so I'm sure he'll jump in, feet first. Once he gets the time, that is.

As I was explaining to him what blogs are, and what Blogger is, it occurred to me that blogs are the the internet at it's most dynamic and democratic. It's difficult to define exactly what a blog is because a blog can be absolutely anything. They allow you to broadcast your message, regardless of what your message may be, to (potentially) hundreds of thousands of people. They are free, embarrassingly simple to set up and implement, and require only the techno-how (Do you like that word? I just made it up.) needed to use a word processor and surf the web, skills most anybody in a developed country possesses. Of course, if you are one of those people who dream in HTML (and actually understand the dream, unlike myself) you are more than welcome to use your skills here.

If you are in the habit of reading blogs, but don't have one yourself, I encourage you to give one a spin.

That's all the proselytization I have for today.

PS I will link to my Fathers blog once he gets it up and running a little.

No comments: