Saturday, March 26, 2005

It's amazing

what topics become poilte conversation when you're expecting a kid. The other day I was chatting with a co-worker who has a son of her own. We've worked together for about a year, and I would only consider her an acquaintence, but there we were, taking about her Cesearean Section stiches. I can casually mention that my wife has been to the hospital twice since the pregnancy began; once for some unexplained spotting, and the other for some unexplained leakage. People don't bat an eye.

I get all kinds of stories about marathon labor sessions, surprise breastmilk, and tearing. It strikes me as slightly creepy and weird, but no one else (not even the wife) seems to mind, and they all seem to be hungry for info, so I keep dishing.

The best thing is, I'm told, once the pregnancy is over, these topics will fade from my lunch hour chats.

That is, until the next person gets pregnant.

No comments: